What and Who is Herbie Dog Digs?


When thinking about what to write in my very first blog, I felt compelled to explain the name.

Herbie (aka Herbiedog) was an ornery Scottish terrier I owned when I met my husband. I have tons of stories about the hate/hate relationship between the two but I'll save that for another time. If you have seen the movie Marley and Me, know that I cried like a 3 year old at the end as the movie hit a little to close to home....

Herbiedog lived many years ago but the name has always stuck with me. When we lived in Florida, his Lebanese vet used to call him Harvey and it still makes me giggle...because he used to talk to him like he would answer him..."How are you doing today, Harvey"....or when I frantically rushed him to the vet for eating three pounds of cat poo from the litter box of a friend with 5 or so cats, he wagged his finger at him and asked..."Harvey, why would you do such a thing"....I was almost gagging from both the thought of the doggie breath from the car ride, as well as stifling my laughter.

Anyway, we've owned several dogs over the years with such grandiose names as Millie, Stitch and Oscar but Herbie was a special dog and the name - never to be repeated.

Now digs - yes - the real Herbiedog loved to dig, as did every terrier I have ever owned. They were born for it. But digs - in the sense of this blog - serves as the hippie 70's term of "dig" ...aka Do you dig it man? Yes I do....

So this Herbiedog Digs is about what I am into...which seems to change every day but my core "digging" is....

*Knitting - mostly toys with an obsession with monkeys.
*Embroidery - not your grandma's - the new obsession with Doodle embroidery - love, love, love it
*Quilting - my newest passion since discovering the Moda charm packs and layer cakes. Could life get any simpler???
*Crochet - for blankies and such. Never been able to make anything wearable with this craft.
*Jewelry making - I mostly admire this from afar...have made a few things, invested a small fortune in beads but my attempts are amateur at best.
*and whatever else strikes me when on Etsy...ebay..shopping at Joann Fabrics or Michaels thinking, I SO could do this!

By the way, the photo posted is our current canine inhabitants - Stitch and Oscar - both miniature dachshunds
0 Responses