"New" was the theme of the week

For my son: A new school (middle school)
For me:   New routine (I went back to work this week)
For my daughter: A new necklace (we went to the Jonas Brothers concert this week and she scored a Nick Jonas necklace as a souvenir - everybody scream at once!)
For my husband: Solitude - for the first time in months, he had the house to himself
For the family: Live Jonas Brothers and the Columbus Zoo!!


Here's my son at the petting zoo last weekend.....he's such an animal lover...you would have to be to lay on the ground with the stinky goat. 

 
And our view at the Jonas concert.  We scored seriously great seats - floor level, ten rows back from the stage.  Here's a photo of Kevin Jonas (I think) taken on our iphone to give you some perspective on how close we were.  My daughter's eyes just about popped out of her head when she saw just how close her Disney channel idols were to her!  And, there is nothing like going to a concert with every 14 year old  teenage girl in the city of Columbus to make you really feel your age!



At one point in the show, the Jonas Brothers hose the crowd with soap bubbles.  Hubby didn't duck.  He got foamed. As did the dad behind him.  Hysterical.





But amongst all this new, I found time for the old. 


The days are already starting to cool off and it seems to have been perfectly timed to the kids going back to school.  Not that this was a particularly warm summer.  There were very few days over 90 degrees.  Not at any point did I want to knit summer wear as I have in years past.  Wasn't inspired into anything but fingerless gloves, socks, scarves, etc.  I am hoping this isn't some crazy women's intuition about the upcoming winter - like I have to stock up on warm woolen items lest we freeze.  My daughter feels it as well as she exclaims every morning that she can't wait to wear her winter boots - the men in the family just shake their heads.

So in preparation for the cold, this week I finished a scarf made from Jaeger Roma in a lovely fern green color.  I found the pattern in the Nicky Epstein embellishment book and just added a couple garter stitches on each side.  Definitely still in my "leaf" pattern mode.  Made some matching fingerless mitts as well in the same yummy Roma.  I'm feeling I ended the scarf a little too early, though, (was afraid I was going to run out of yarn), so I may rip back and add one more repeat of the leaf pattern.


Friday night, while watching the wonderful tribute to Ted Kennedy (was never really a fan of Teddy but can appreciate what a larger than life character he was), I cast on for Sweaterbabe's knitted cowl.  I scored some RYC cashmere tweed (see previous post) last month but at only 25 grams per ball, I was limited to an accessory versus an entire sweater.  Here is it on the needles.  Its wonderfully soft and I'm thinking it's deserving of some matching fingerless gloves as well.


Apparently, my intuition about the impending cold only goes so far as I don't feel compelled to knit an entire glove or mitten - only fingerless....and my daughter wants to wear her winter boots with a mini skirt so I wouldn't throw away your Farmer's Almanac just yet!

Oh, before I forget, I will be posting a free pattern soon for fingerless mitts!  Stay tuned!
0 Responses